A Unicorn No More (2/2/22)


 
Excuse me if I seem a little out-of-sorts or agitated. 
Forgive me for being not myself, but it seems, you see, that myself is not who I believed myself to be.
I have just learned that everything I thought I knew about Faith Korbel has changed.
 
Maybe it’s the past two years – the pandemic, losing my mother, buying a house, the overall state of our world – but it seems I am entering 2022 with not just an ulcer (seriously…I have an ulcer…only 43, no kids, very little to actually worry about and I’ve fretted myself into an ULCER), but with a completely new personality. 
 
According to Myers-Briggs, I have *changed*.
 
For anyone who has never taken the Myers-Briggs personality test, it’s a handy dandy tool to figure out your quirks and how you interact with others in various settings.  You answer a bunch of questions and, based on your responses and the degrees of those responses, you get a personality inventory back. 
 
Everything is based on 4 simple letters:
E or I (Extroversion or Introversion)
N or S (Intuition or Sensing)
F or T (Feeling or Thinking)
J or P (Judgement or Perception)
 
I first took the Myers-Briggs right out of college when I joined the Lutheran Volunteer Corps.  As a bunch of 20-somethings, living in houses with strangers in brand new cities and sharing household chores and budgets, somebody thought it might be a good idea to do personality tests. In making collective decisions, it was really helpful to understand better how your housemates thought through things.
 
At 23, I was a solid INFJ.  I mean solid.  In the little chart showing to what degree you were each of the letters, I was pretty extreme in every category. There was very little room to negotiate. I was such an introvert that the person leading the group session about Myers-Briggs used me in an example of Introverts vs. Extroverts (which, for an introvert, was pretty hell-ish).
 
I loved being an INFJ.  I really did.  They are the smallest (most exclusive, if you will 😊) personality group, at only 1-3% of the US population.  Some very cool and important people are INFJs – Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Jon Snowe.
Yes, that Jon Snowe, and no, I have no idea how they can assign a personality type to a Game of Thrones character.

INFJs are considered “Advocates”or “Counselors:.  They are idealists and dreamers who actually follow through on their dreams.  They want to make the world a better place and are determined to make it that way. While introverts, they are capable of and value authentic relationships.  They are very creative, motivated, and capable. 

 
I’m a little bit obsessed with personality types. So ever since that first official test, I have regularly taken online tests just to see if anything has changed.  In 20 years, nothing has changed:
You are an INFJ.
You are an INFJ.
You are an INFJ.
You are an ISFJ.
Wait…what?
 
It’s true (it’s now been validated by 3 different free online M-B tests).  My ENTIRE PERSONALITY HAS CHANGED. 
Well, 1 of the 4 letters has changed.  
Apparently it’s a pretty important letter, though, because  I’ve gone from the most exclusive Myers-Briggs type to the most common Myers-Briggs type (ISFJs are 13% of the population).
That should not matter (it really shouldn't) but, I have to admit, today I feel less like a unicorn.  
 
So, what is the difference between an N (Intuition) and a S (Sensing)? I’m glad you asked.
 
People who score higher in Intuition like to think problems through – tend to be more in their head.  They like new ideas and spend time thinking about the future.  They ask what’s possible on a large scale.  They use the big picture to uncover individual facts. 
 
People who score higher in Sensing rely on what they see, hear, touch, taste and smell – their physical reality – to solve problems.  They rely on their past and present experiences to form their views and make a plan.  They look at the bottom line. They use individual facts to put together a big picture.
 
So…I am now an ISFJ.

ISFJs are “Defenders” or “Nurturers”.  They are emotionally oriented – often remembering details about people rather than facts or trivia.  They want harmony and want to believe the best of others. They take their responsibilities seriously and can be relied upon.  On the flip side, they have a tendency to take things personally, can be reluctant to change, and they worry. 
(Well, that last sentence sure sounds familiar.)
 
The last two years have been hard, and I think we are all pretty tapped out in lots of different ways that we can’t always put into words.  Plus, to go along with the pandemic, I’m hitting middle-age, which has involoved a lot more self-reflection  (for better and for worse) than I anticipated.  
 
All to say, I don’t think I have actually changed.
I think it has just taken me 20 years and a pandemic to answer the questions honestly, rather than answering them aspirationally. 
 
I’m not the person who sees the big vision and starts movements. I’m one of the many people who helps make the vision happen. I like putting out small, manageable fires.  I like reflecting on past experiences. I like balance. That’s where I’m comfortable and that’s where I’m happy.
 
Famous ISFJs? Gwyneth Paltrow, Tiger Woods, Rand Paul, Kim Kardashian....
WAIT, hold on, can I take the test again?

 

Comments