I Was Told There Would Be Dolphins (4/2/19)


We recently returned from a lovely week on the island of Curacao (a Caribbean island off the coast of Venezuela).   It was a wonderful trip, with lots of together time and memories that I will carry with me for years to come.  While most of those memories are really great, the memory that made the biggest impression and  will most definitely  stick with me the longest is that of a 60-something year old woman named Gladys* yelling “F*&(# NO!” in my ear.

*I don’t actually know her real name, but Gladys feels right, so I’m just going to go with it.

I didn’t know much about Curacao prior to our trip - just that you can sit on a beach wearing a bathing suit in March and that it’s a lot like (but isn’t) the place where Natalie Holloway disappeared. 

Since 12 years of experience traveling as a couple has taught us that we can realistically only spend so many full days at a resort, in the weeks before the trip I started looking at possible excursions.  There are lots of good options, but one that kept coming up was a catamaran day trip to Klein Island.

Website after website had glowing reviews about and beautiful pictures of this excursion (I mean…people LOVED it). 
Done! 
Booked!
Ok…yes…there was this one comment (deep into one of the reviews) about seasickness and a particularly bad ride. Whatever, that’s what Dramamine is for.  It was going to be great.  Actually, it was going to be “Epic” (which was actually  the title of one of the reviews – I mean, how can you go wrong with epic?)

The day of the excursion arrived and we got ourselves to the meeting point (a cute little bar called the Pirate’s Nest) at zero-dark-thirty (actually, 9 am…which is zero-dark-thirty in vacation terms). 

Going in, I had some fears that it might be more of a party boat situation and that, being in our early 40s,  we would be 10,000+ years older than everyone else there. Those fears seemed to be confirmed when immediately ahead of us in line was a bachelorette party of around 7 early 20-something girls with matching shirts that said “Mer-maids” (except for one girl whose shirt said “Mer-bride”- get it?…mer-maids…mer-bride…cuz it’s a bachelorette weekend in the Carribbean).
The girls said “like” a lot (like….a LOT) and were talking (loudly and all at once) about, you know, early 20-something stuff.
They were very sweet, but dear lord it was too early and this was going to be a LONG day.

Then magic happened.   The bachelorette party got to the front of the line and it was discovered that their Klein Island trip was on a boat-boat (as compared to a catamaran) and that the line for that trip was just down the road at another bar.

As the bachelorettes booked it down the street to meet their boat, the clouds parted (metaphorically, as there are no clouds in the Carribbean) and I looked around to find a very balanced group of tourists.  We actually were not the oldest at all.  In fact, there was at least one couple in their 60s…
enter Gladys and Tom. 

After signing waivers releasing the tour company from any responsibility with regards to our lives,  everyone boarded the boat and the crew introduced themselves.  The main crew guy (chief stew?  bosun?...those are the only boat positions I remember from “Below Deck”), went over a couple of rules: 
1) Sit in the wind (preferably up front) to avoid sea sickness.
2) If you have to puke, do so over the side of the boat (and make sure nobody is directly downwind)

While the “kids” all moved back to the bar area, we grabbed prime spots on the net in the front.  My plan was lie down, take an 1 hour 40 minute nap in the sun (oh yeah….have I mentioned the boat ride is 1 hour and 40 minutes?), and wake up when we arrived at Klein (ace plan: avoid sea sickness by sleeping through it). 
Gladys and Tom also stuck to the front.  As the catamaran took off, Tom was taking glamour shots of Gladys on the net.

The first 3 minutes of the trip were beautiful, as the catamaran worked it’s way through the calm waters towards the open water of the Caribbean. Seriously, why did I even bother with the Dramamine?

Then we hit open water, and the chief stew/bosun/announcement guy came to the front and told us that we should actually probably not sit on the the net and would be better off sitting in a line with our backs to the front windows of the boat. 
Oh, and maybe linking arms.
He immediately returned to the back (probably should have taken note of the fact that the profession was NOT staying up front) and  all hell proceeded to break loose.

First it was just rough water, but soon it became bobbing, then crazy bobbing, then VIOLENT bobbing and then the boat rising up and crashing down hard with every wave....and feeling like it maybe...could potentially...break in half. 
After a bit of that, we also started getting pummeled with water (a similar concept to water boarding).
It just got worse from there.

The seating arrangement was Tom on the end, Gladys, me, Dave, a cheerful Dutch couple, and a few other people to their right.
At first we were just sitting up against the glass, but as things started to go south (literally…well, technically SE) we took the crew's advice and all linked arms to stay on the boat.  As conditions got worse and worse, we all started holding tighter and tighter.

Now this is where you say, “But Faith, why didn’t you all just move to the back?”
Excellent question. Gladys and Tom were having the same conversation.  

In fact, let me just give you a condensed dramatic interpretation of what I heard from Gladys and Tom (NONTSTOP) for 1 hour and 23 minutes (approximately):
I don’t like this.
I don’t like this either.
It’s so rough.
Oh my god, it’s another wave.
Hold on.
I don’t like this.
This is not what I expected.
Not in the brochure.
I am definitely going complain. 
Why did we sit up here?
I don’t know.
Can we go back?
I can’t even stand up.
I’m going to the back.
No, Tom, you will die if you stand up.
I don’t think we..oh god another wave.
This is awful
This is dangerous
This is not what I signed up for
Oh my GOD!
Why did you make me sit up here.
I’m sorry, it’s my fault.
We should have picked another trip.
AHHHHHH!
I want off.
I want off NOW.
Get the captain.
I can’t.
Tom, get me off NOW.
I can’t control that Gladys.
Whose idea was this? 
I hate this.
AHHHHHH!

Meanwhile, I am plastered up against the glass, wedged tightly between Gladys and Dave, with my eyes and mouth  closed tightly to avoid any combination of getting sick/getting pummeled with water/flying off the boat and into the sea. 

On the other side of Dave, nothing but laughter, as the Dutch couple was thoroughly enjoying Gladys and Tom's conversation. 

Tom, make this stop.
I can’t make this stop, but we should be in the back.
I know I’M SORRY. It’s my fault. I’m sorry forever.
We’re halfway there (*this was actually VERY useful information, so thanks to Tom for that).
Never again.
No, never.
I hate this.
I know.
OH GOD another one!
AHHHHHH!
We’re going to die.
I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.
We’re going overboard.
Somebody is going overboard.
Make this stop.
I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE DOLPHINS!!!!!*
I can’t.
Oh no. here comes a big one.
F*&(# NO!

*As previously stated, this section is mostly a condensed dramatic interpretation….but this dolphin quote is 100%, cross my heart and hope to die accurate.

At this point, the Dutch couple decided that, while they found the entire situation highly entertaining, they couldn’t in good conscience allow Gladys and Tom’s nightmare to continue. 
They managed to flag down one of the crew members through the window and somehow relayed the message to cut the motor and come to the front. 
Then, the crew members helped all of us (Gladys and Tom being the highest priority) scoot on our butts to safety (and the bar) in the back. 

Incidentally, the people in the back were having a COMPLETELY different experience, and watched with confusion  as those of us from the front made our way back (looking wet, exhausted and just overall rough).  

They had no idea what we had been through, but we (the survivors – well, Gladys, Tom, and myself) shared knowing glances for the final 20 minutes of the ride.  
We knew what we had experienced…what we had seen (which was, incidentally,  not a single dolphin).

½ hour later, as I sat on the beautiful sands of solid ground, a larger, sturdier, non-catamaran, boat pulled up, and my mind drifted to the ride to Klein that might have been (a calm, non-threatening, blissful, indoor 1 hr 40 min ride), until my daydream was interrupted by a very loud “OMG – this is like gorgeous!!!” as the Mer-maids disembarked from what I thought to be my dream boat.

Dolphins or not, I think I'll stick with Gladys and Tom.



Comments