Ick! (8/7/07)

I like my job but it's not an in-your-face, on the edge-of-your-seat, fast-paced kind of job.
I mean let's face it, I'm somebody's assistant...that's just what I do.

This week the person who I assist is on vacation which is leaving me feeling a little bit lost - what does an assistant do without anyone to assist?
Today, after some filing, some cleaning, some scheduling and some typing I found myself wondering...ok, what now?

This contemplation led directly into a serious wave of sleepiness. As we all know sleepiness is very, very dangerous when you are at work. It's even more dangerous when your desk just happens to be in the middle of the hallway where lots and lots of coworkers walk by and notice things like, oh I don't know, assistants taking naps.

I tried water and that didn't help. I tried lemon zest tea and it helped for a second or two but then I was sleepy again. Sucking on jolly ranchers from the front desk helped until they were gone...then all I had was a tummy ache. Finally it came down to the last possible option...a technique that I've only had to use once or twice in my life. It's a method I turn to only when completely desperate to stay alert because it's just too completely disgusting to be used for anything less than total desperation.

Past 11 AM in the kitchen in our office you will most definitely not find a full pot of fresh, piping hot coffee. At that exact point in the day (after the morning coffee drinkers but still before the afternoon coffee drinkers) you will instead find in the coffee pot about 1/4 inch of cold, concentrated, slightly sludgy, starbucks house blend coffee. Mmmm. It looks awful and it tastes worse but taken as a quick shot (with a spoonful of sugar to mask the bitterness and with your nose plugged to mask the smell) it is good for exactly one thing. Once the concentrated caffeine/sugar combination hits your system it will definitely keep you awake which it is has been doing for me all afternoon.

This isn't a very important post and it probably isn't even interesting for anyone other than myself but for some reason I'm really hyper, have a lot of nervous energy and am completely fascinated by the mundane. I can't imagine what could be causing this behavior. :)

Comments